Everyone's crazy about pie this time of year. Why not make yours healthier with this grain-free version of a pumpkin pie!
We used our grain-free Pumpkin Pie granola in place of the usual flour-based crust. That means double the pumpkin pie, plus this pie has not one but two (carrots and pumpkin) veggies inside! Wait, is pumpkin a fruit?
What you need for the crust:
4 tablespoons (2 ounces) melted coconut oil
1/4 cup coconut sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C).
- In a food processor, pulse 1 cup granola and 1/4 cup sugar until you have fine crumbs. Slowly add in coconut oil, processing until combined. Add in the last 1/2 cup of granola and process until combined but still crumbly.
- Transfer the mixture to a 9-inch pie dish, cover the bottom and sides. Refrigerate for 15 minutes, until a firm. Then bake at 350 degrees until the crust is golden and fragrant, about 3-10 minutes. Let the pie plate to cool while you make the filling.
Now for the filling!
· 1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree - extra points if you make your own!
· 1/4 cup maple syrup
· 1/4 cup coconut sugar
· 1/3 cup unsweetened dairy-free milk or applesauce (if using applesauce, skip the maple syrup!)
· 1 Tbsp melted coconut oil
· 2 1/2 Tbsp arrowroot, potato starch, or 1 tsp xantham gum
· 1 3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or a mix of ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg & cloves)
· 1/4 tsp sea salt
1. Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth, scraping down sides as needed. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
2. Pour filling into pie crust and bake at 350 for 58-65 minutes. The crust should be light golden brown and the filling will still be just a bit jiggly and have some cracks on the top. Remove from oven and let cool completely before loosely covering and transferring to the refrigerator to fully set for 4-6 hours, preferably overnight.
3. For extra deliciousness, serve with Minimalist Baker's coconut whipped cream and an additional sprinkle of cinnamon, nutmeg, and/or pumpkin pie spice.
Pie filling Inspiration from Minimalist Baker http://minimalistbaker.com/vegan-gluten-free-pumpkin-pie/